Asimina Christoforou is Adjunct Professor at the Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece, and Co-ordinator of the Social Capital Working Group of the International Initiative for Promoting Political Economy (IIPPE). She is member of the editorial board of the Journal of Economic Issues and Forum for Social Economics.
She obtained her PhD in Economics at the Department of International and European Economic Studies of the Athens University of Economics and Business, with a tesis on "Social Capital and Development in Greece Compared to Countries of the European Union".
Social capital, human development, regional economics and policy, European integration, third sector (voluntary associations and social organisations), ethics and economics, institutional economics.
• Asimina Christoforou and John Davis (eds.), Social Capital and Economics: Social Values, Power and Social Identity. London and New York: Routledge.
• Asimina Christoforou and Michael Lainé (eds.), Re-Thinking Economics: Exploring the Work of Pierre Bourdieu. London and New York: Routledge.
• John Davis and Asimina Christoforou (eds.) (2013) The Economics of Social Institutions. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
• Book review of Social Capital in Europe: A Comparative Regional Analysis, by Emanuele Ferragina. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2012. Journal of Economic Issues, forthcoming.
• ‘On the Identity of Social Capital and the Social Capital of Identity’, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 2013, 37(4): 719-736.
• ‘Social Capital across European Countries: Individual and Aggregate Determinants of Group Membership’, American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 2011, 70(3): 699-728.
• ‘Social Capital: A Manifestation of Neoclassical Prominence or a Path to a More Pluralistic Economics?’, Journal of Economic Issues, 2011, XLV(3): 685-701.
• ‘Social Capital and Human Development: An Empirical Investigation across European Countries’, Journal of Institutional Economics, 2010, 6(2): 191-214.
• ‘On the Determinants of Social Capital in Greece Compared to Countries of the European Union’, Working Paper Series Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM), Nota di Lavoro 68.2005, May, 2005.